Wednesday 6 August 2014

The Adventures of Emu and Rosie

   This is the tale of the exciting adventure Emu and Rosie (for those who don't know, they are my little quail chicks I got for my birthday) had the other day, told from Rosie's point of view:



   I looked up as a huge hand, belonging to mistress Jane, reached down into our box. I still felt a bit shaky from all the wobbling our box had been doing. I stayed still in case she wanted to pick me up, but she reached instead for Emu. I watched as he flew through the air and out of the box, until I couldn't see him any more. I cheeped loudly to comfort him, "you'll be ok, Emu." I called, I knew he didn't like being held, but I wondered what was happening.



   After a while Miss Jane's hand came back but where was Emu? I called loudly to him, and he called back, "It's all right Rosie, this is wonderful!" I wondered what was going on.
   Miss Jane lifted me out into the bright warm sunshine and put me down on some funny green stuff. I looked around, I had no idea where I was. I scrambled over to where Emu was sitting, "Where are we?" He asked, I looked around, "I think this might be The Great Outside." I replied in awe. I pecked at the green stuff curiously, then I saw a bug flying by, I ran after it, "This place is great!" I called to Emu, who was still sitting in the sun, "Let's go exploring."



   Emu grudgingly got up and followed me as I headed towards some distant rocky cliffs. Soon we reached them and Emu saw some tasty little bugs (Miss Jane called them Ants) climbing on the rocks. We chased them around for a while and caught quite a few, then I saw some more cliffs behind us. 
   I ran over to them and I saw that they were lower than the other ones. I flapped my wings and scrambled up. I looked over to where Emu was still chasing Ants, "Come on Emu, I can climb these cliffs!" I called. Emu looked up at me, and when he saw that I'd climbed up, he ran over and flapped his wings furiously, but he fell back down again, "How will I get up, Rosie?" He asked. I frowned thoughtfully, "Maybe Miss Jane will help," I suggested, so I called out and so did Emu, and Jane came and gave Emu a boost. 



   I soon found out that although we were allowed to play on the cliffs we weren't allowed to go into the jungle on the other side. I looked longingly into the dark green bushes and thought how fun it would be to play in them, but whenever either of us went towards it, Jane put her hand there as a barrier. I knew I could get over it, but I also knew that when Miss Jane put her hand in the way like, that it meant that we weren't supposed to go there.


   I looked around when I heard a swooshing sound, I gaped at what I saw. It looked like a giant waterfall. I watched it warily, you never know with waterfalls. Then the waterfall sat down, and I realized it was Miss Jane's sister, Alice. She sat there for awhile talking to Jane, then she got up again and walked away. I wondered what she was up to. 
   A little while later I found out when she returned with a big red container full of funny grainy stuff. I think Miss Jane called it Sand. Emu and I had a great time in the sand, scratching around, looking for things to eat and eating the things we found. I wasn't sure if we were eating Sand or Bugs, but whatever it was it tasted nice. 
   I saw a bug and chased it around but then it hopped out of the Red Container and onto the funny green stuff. I looked around, checking if I was allowed out, and then flapped my wings and jumped down onto the funny green stuff, which I found out was called Grass. 



   I chased the bug around for awhile and then looked around and heard Emu calling for me, "where are you, Rosie? I can't see you." I cheeped back to him, "I'm just down here, on the Grass. Are you coming?"  Emu's head appeared over the top of the Red Container full of funny grainy stuff called Sand, and then he flapped his wings and jumped down beside me onto the funny green stuff called Grass.
   After we ran around for a while longer I felt a bit tired so I sat down in the sun for a rest, so did Emu. Miss Jane gently picked us up and put us back in our box. I sighed contentedly, it had been a very exiting day, and I hoped that Miss Jane would bring us Out again tomorrow. 

~ Jane, Misty Maiden

1 comment:

  1. That was lovely!

    You have been nominated for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award over at my blog! :)

    HP

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so don't hesitate to tap one out! (doesn't even have to be in Morse Code)

And I always reply to them, so don't forget to check back!