Monday 26 June 2017

The #VoicesofYA Tag // an excuse for me to shriek over books + writing

Well it's been a while since one of these, hasn't it.

BUT WE'RE BACK. Tagging has come upon me again, this time by a certain Jonathan Trout (check out his blog: Fishing 4 Ideas) so many thanks to you. *gives pizza*

This time it's all about books so brace yourselves, my readers. I am about to begin. (and who knows when I will stop, once I've got going) (actually, I'll probably stop when it gets too late and I'm too tired so there you go, deadline for me)


What draws you to YA?

Well possibly because I am a young adult?? I'm sure there's some deep philosophical reason for this but I can't think of one for the life of me.
Also because adult books are a bunch of 'eh' and terrible content. And there's only so many middle grade books out there that are well written enough to hold my attention. (but if you were looking for recommendations, I definitely have several up my sleeve) So that leaves me with YA. So YA it is most of the time.


Describe your writing process. Do you like outlines and structure, or seeing where the story takes you?

Normally I'm fairly plotted out. I do a bullet-point list of chapter-by-chapter short summary (like 'Gets kidnapped by russian mafia, bargain with them, gets released') for the entire thing. And plotting out character arcs and theme and alll the fun stuff.

Unfortuantely I haven't gotten time to do that for my Camp NaNo one yet -what with trying to finish my Rogue Escarlate edits- so eep. I'm trying not to freak out over here.


How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey?

LONG WINDED ANSWER:

Okay so when I was 10-11, I wrote these short stories about a little girl (apparently she was 5) and her dad and the plot line of every single one was: girl has a random thought - asks father a deep question - father grabs bible and reads a passage that answers it - girl goes off happily with this newfound knowledge.
I was very proud of those stories. (actually, reading back through them, there is one that is legitimately really interesting because it was written in the middle of when I was clearly struggling. It was basically a true story with names changed, and I'd almost forgotten the event itself, so it was almost like reading a diary entry five years later.)

Then a little bit after that, I wrote the most horrible, weird...thing. That was pretty much a retelling of The Man from Snowy River.

AND THEN (somehow this turned into me telling you about all the awful things I've written) I coauthored the unspeakable fanfic/cliche/plotless/horror that-must-not-be-named. BUT THAT'S OKAY because I burnt it dramatically in April this year and it shall never rise from the ashes again.

Then along came OYAN and The Bridge of Anskar and yeaaah. Also cliche. But hey, it wasn't too bad considering that Man from Snowy River parody thing. *nervous laugh*

And now I have a first-draft-trilogy and several other various stories and I'm pretty sure I can confidently say that I've improved.

SHORT ANSWER:

About five years.

And where am I on my journey? I'm only right at the very beginning. I have barely begun to discover the twists and turns of this business. There's so much more that I haven't even started to learn.
I can't wait to continue on this endless journey.


What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?

a) Laptop
b) Fingers
c) Brain

Plus optional bonus chai tea and music (although chai tea does make it hard to type?? because it requires me holding the cup and one day I'm going to tip tea on my lap and shriek very loud - just a warning for all my family). Fingers and laptop are partially optional also, but they're preferable. Brains are not optional. JUST SO YOU KNOW.


If you could offer one piece of advice to another writer, (OTHER THAN "don't give up"), what would it be?

Never forget who you're writing for.
Are you writing for yourself, because you like doing it?
Are you writing for the readers who will love it one day?
Are you writing it for the money you'll get when you top the bestseller's list?

OR

Are you writing for the Creator of the universe, you gave you the gift? Are you writing to use that gift for His glory?

It shouldn't be a hard question to answer.



What book still has you reeling from its plot twist?

Two books:

           

Read them.
That is all I have to say.


What books are you most anticipating for this year?


Renegades - Marissa Meyer // I have a huge liking for the Lunar Chronicles and I love the idea of this book, so I'm definitely looking forward to it's release.

The Ship of the Dead - Rick Riordan // I have the first two books on my shelf so obviously they need number three. AND ALSO the Magnus Chase books are so funny. Almost funnier than Percy Jackson. *fangirl gasps* (and on that note, Percy is going to be in this one so yeet another good reason that I'm excited for this)

Exiles - Jaye L. Knight // I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY READ THE REST OF THE SERIES. I've read Resistance and the preview of Half-Blood and I loved them both and all the feels and so much epicness so yes. I am excited for this even though I probably won't be reading it for a while yet. :P

In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise? 

NOTE: I'm really bad at 'premise's so just pardon any misconceptions I might have over the word, but if you have a good definition - tell me in the comments because I'd love to know. XD

Okay this one is hard. I've read so many books with quirky an unique concepts and choosing is super tricky. But just to pick two random ones:


Storming: biplane flier in a small-town meets steampunk flying worlds. It caught my attention easy.
The New Recruit: (I just wanted any excuse at all to mention this book really :P) A stubborn nonchristian becomes a member of a Christian...spy organsation? Cool. Very muchly so. 


What is your all-time favourite quote from YA?

Excuse me. How could I decide something like that?? *distant screams* I'm just going to go for a super memorable, feels-y one.

“KISS ME, HARDY! Kiss me, QUICK!” - Code Name Verity (Elizabeh Wein)

It doesn't really make a super lot of sense by itself, but in the book it's heartbreaking. Trust me on this one. Or actually no, read the book and you'll see. It's not a romance. It's about planes and war and friendship.


What book do you most hope will have a movie adaptation? 

I'm assuming that this is an utterly perfect movie adaption. Of course. Humm, that's a tough question though.

Out of Time - Nadine Brandes
Ilyon Chronicles - Jaye L Knight
Storming - K. M. Weiland

I CAN'T DECIDE. *bookworm's brain explodes because that question is too stressful*


And with that, I complete my question-answering at last.

AND NOW FOR TAGGING PEOPLES
- now I shall just note that if you don't want to do this that's fine. I won't be offended. 70% guarantee that I will have forgotten anyway after about three weeks and won't even notice, but if you do do it, it'd be a pleasant surprise -

+ anyone else who wants to do this thing

Everyone else: GO CHECK OUT THEIR BLOGS. I'm eternally in love with Jem's owl, it's so cute. And Gray's posts are amazing (also she has the most cool curly hair, honestly). And Jess is my cousin, so I can personally confirm that she's a pretty cool person.

And look at this. I have a handy dandy list of the questions here for you to copy-paste as you will.

What draws you to YA?
Describe your writing process. Do you like outlines and structure, or seeing where the story takes you?
How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey?
What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?
If you could offer one piece of advice to another writer, (OTHER THAN "don't give up"), what would it be?
What book still has you reeling from its plot twist?
What books are you most anticipating for this year?
In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise? 
What is your all-time favourite quote from YA?
What book do you most hope will have a movie adaptation? 

And there we have it. I hopefully didn't bore anyone and you're all adding books to your TBR already like the good little minions you are.


Are there any books that left you reeling from the unexpected plot twists?
What's one of your favourite book covers?
(this is one of the questions that were sadly left out, obviously)
JUST TALK TO ME ABOUT ALLLL THE BOOKS.

32 comments:

  1. aw yas, an excuse to scream over books and writing, that's always fun XD
    hmm, reeling books...Blank Mastermind(still reeling from that one, by the way _o) too. the Blades and Ilyon books are epic. *nods*

    and all these new books, hmm, yeeeeessss, must look these up and add them to my tbr XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yass. XD
      OOH YES OH MY WORD. I should've mentioned that one. *still hasn't gotten over that one either* Blank Mastermind is definitely noteworthy.

      Yes yes good girl. *claps*

      Delete
    2. I thought I had a longer comment, I must have deleted part of it and then forgot that I did it. and typos...my brain was not functioning when I wrote that, obviously. O.o oh well XD

      I meant to add the Ascendance trilogy on there, bc that had like the biggest, most HOW-DID-I-NOT-SEE-THAT-COMING plot twist I think I've ever read. XD

      oh yes, very much noteworthy <#

      Delete
    3. Oops. XD *pats* That's okay though. I actually almost deleted it by accident, because I clicked 'delete' instead of 'reply' and then had a minor heart attack. XP

      Ooh yes yes. Those are more books that I have on my must-get-somehow list. :P AND NOW I MUST GET THEM EVEN MORE.

      Delete
  2. AUGGGHH Someone else knows about The Man From Snowy River!!!! I saw the movie version when I was a kid, and it is still one of my favorite films.

    Wonderful tag! I'll have to check out some of those books.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS. I love the setting of the movie! It's so beautiful. And the story is pretty great too. :D

      Thank you! And yes you shall. *pushes you toward the library*

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh yes! I loved the mountains most of all, they were gorgeous! I think my favorite part of the film was towards the end when Jim rounded up all of those wild mustangs by himself (#whataman).

      *willingly lets Jane push me to library* LOL.

      Delete
    3. Yesss. They are so so pretty. It makes me want to live there every time I see the movie. <33

      Delete
  3. AAHHH YOU DID THE YA TAG ASDFJKL;

    I MUST READ STORMING. I'm obsessed with K.M. Weiland's blog and writing craft books, so it would probably be good to read some of her actual novels xD
    And you MUST read the rest of Ilyon Chronicles! The release date of Exiles was moved back a month, so you'd still have time... ;)

    I loved reading your answers here! <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP YES I DID!! *flails* I've been watching it going around the blogs and just sitting here waiting to see if anyone would remember me. XD

      OH GOODNESS YES YOU REALLY NEED TO. It's the best. I'm soo in love with the plot and the characters and the setting and I could read it several times over and not get tired of it. :D
      I must, yes. I really really want to but the library doesn't have them and they're really expensive to buy. I need to invest in a couple of ebooks really. :P

      Thank you!! :)

      Delete
  4. Heh heh, this was your dream tag!
    Oooh, I never knew about the man from Snowy River one... *grins evilly* More evidence that the Horror was your fault! ;p
    *Jots down books onto the never ending list* Hm... these all look good. And never fear, I'll lend the Ilyon Chronicles again.
    Warden and the Wolf King threw me SOOOOOO off as well. I still can't get over it. It- *Shakes head in mute shock*
    Favorite book covers? um... *Racks brain* Beyond the Reflection's Edge. INSANE music.
    And, I shall do the tag. I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nervous laugh* THERE WAS A REASON YOU DIDN'T KNOW. *hurriedly burns the book it was written in just in case you find it while you're here* We shall not mention that. *silences you*
      Ooh yes indeed. *nods*
      The ending!! It was like "WAHT NO HOLD IT NO."
      *googles* ahh yes I like that one.
      Oh yay! Good. :D

      Delete
  5. I know your pain from the last Wingfeather saga books!!!!
    And thanks for tagging me, I'll have to do his sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowww. It was torturous and amazing at the same time. <33
      You're welcome!! ^-^ I'll look forward to it. :D

      Delete
  6. DO YOU WANT TO MAKE ME CRY FROM THE CODE NAME VERITY QUOTE?? DO YOU MEAN TO CAUSE ME SUCH PAIN WHILE INNOCENTLY READING A BLOG POST?? *sniff*

    Ooh, and I can't wait to read the last Wingfeather book. I've read all of them except that one. Ughhh I can't wait. <3

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cries* I'M SORRY. *hugs you tight* So many feeels. <3

      Yaaas you need to read it. Honestly it was so good. (although maybe it could've been improved by just a teensy little bit more at the end, because it sort of left it to the reader's dreams to know whether some certain thing worked or not. And I was like NO TELL ME THE TRUTH THOUGH. XD)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post Jane! So many good book recommendations! You read Andrew Peterson? We're reading his first in that series right now as a family. Love him! I don't need anything but sleep to write. :-Z I've been writing for eight years at the least. XD I was reeling in most of N.D. Wilson's books. :-O But I love him too! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES GO ADD THEM TO YOUR TBR LIST NOW. XD oooh yes yes I read them beginning of last year, I think. (*can't really remember*) But I really really enjoyed them.
      Sleep? Pfft. Who needs sleep. XD
      OH YES. N.D.WILSON HAS AMAZING BOOKS. <333 I LOVED the Ashtown Burials so so much.

      Delete
    2. I know, so did I!!! XD
      Ok, *goes and writes down all the books* I am going to check our library right now!!! :-D

      Delete
    3. Yess good good. *pats your head* Go quest to the library and find these wonderful books!! :D

      Delete
    4. I reserved the New Recruit and Steelheart at my library, and I read Heartless. It was a really good book! I wrote a review of it on my blog. :-D
      I tried reading Code Name Verity, but there was too much language in it for me. :-( I think I'll buy myself a copy later and cover up all the language because it had an AMAZING storyline. XD

      Delete
    5. YASS. GOOD GIRL. I'M SO PROUD. XD
      Heartless is SO GOOD. *flails*
      *facepalms* oh yes, I'm so sorry. I forgot all about that point of it. D:

      YES. It definitely is. It has amazing plot and the most stunning characters. *nods*

      Delete
  8. Exiles is my most awaited book. I'll be getting it as quickly as it will ship to Australia. Last year for Samara's Peril I decied to be a reviewer and got an E-ARC, but I have a strong prefernce for reading Ilyon in the paperback. There's a few other series I have a strong preference for audio books, and others where i just went to get the story as soon as possilbe, even if it isn't edited yet.

    I wholeheartedly agree with the movies. I can most realistically imagine Storming. I also want the Baldes of acktar and Rizkaland Legends as movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yaass. That's great. I know what you mean with ARCs and actual real paperback /books/. And yes, there's always those books where it's just "GIVE IT TO ME." "But it's not edited yet--" "DO I LOOK LIKE I CARE???" XD

      Storming would be such an epic swashbuckling air-pirates movie and I feel like it would be the sort of movie that I could watch over and over and would show to my kids and treasure it forever. :P
      Ooh yes. Blades of Acktar. Another series that I MUST READ SOMEHOW. But time. I also need more time. XD

      Delete
    2. Certainly more time. My writing has been neglected lately due to family happennings mixed with poor time management. I certainly don't get all the reading I want done.

      Delete
    3. Mm yes. Time management is so hard and yet so so important. *nods*

      Delete
  9. WAH THAT'S WHAT I GET FOR SLIPPING BEHIND IN READING ALL THE BLOGS I miss it when people talk about BOOKS (and tag me. that too ;D).

    I'll have to find Code Name Verity somewhere. *reads Goodreads reviews* *braces for feels*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YES YOU CAN'T MISS THOSE POSTS. They're the best ones. :P

      YEET YES YOU MUST. Brace yourself for feels. I may or may not have been in tears in this one. <33

      Delete
    2. *not sure I can handle the level of feels you're promising*

      Delete
    3. Noo. It'll be fiiine. *hands you a tissue box anyway* xD

      Delete

I love getting comments so don't hesitate to tap one out! (doesn't even have to be in Morse Code)

And I always reply to them, so don't forget to check back!